It’s hard to imagine how our mothers made sense of menopause. DVDs didn’t exist, the internet was years away, and menopause was still a very taboo topic. Instead, their doctors might have mentioned something or friends may referred to “the change” that was about to take place. But it was all very hush-hush.
Times have changed. Menopause has hit the mainstream. Well, sort of. It’s not unusual to see a commercial for menopause products during your favorite primetime TV show. You can sit on the patio with your iPad and surf dozens of great websites about menopause. Or you can just pop a disc into your DVD player and learn about menopause at your own pace.
So where do you start? Over the past few years, we’ve reviewed a handful of menopause DVDs and even interviewed some of the experts who created them. Depending on your needs, whether you’re trying to manage symptoms or help your spouse understand what you are going through, there’s something here for you.
- Menopause in an Hour. Dr. Tara Allmen takes a clear and concise approach to tackling a very difficult topic for many women. She explains what menopause is all about and describes some of the more common symptoms. Her “six prescriptions for living a healthy lifestyle” give women a good start into figuring out the changes in their bodies, both physical and mental.
- Managing Menopause Naturally: What Every Woman Needs to Know. Managing Menopause Naturally is a documentary that features in-depth interviews with a variety of complementary healthcare MDs, herbalists, nutritionists and midwives. They provide holistic alternatives, but also acknowledge that current medical treatments—such as hormone replacement therapy—can have a place in managing menopause symptoms. The film encourages an individualized approach to our health concerns because no two women have the same menopause experience.
- Hot Flash Havoc. Newly released on DVD, Hot Flash Havoc offers interviews with over 30 experts in the medical community, as well as some very brave women who shared their personal stories and the difficulties they faced during menopause. Hot Flash Havoc tries to separate fact from fiction, so that women are able to determine what is best for their bodies during this very challenging time.
- Blitzed by Menopause: A Guy’s Guide to Understanding Her Menopause. This menopause DVD is definitely for the man in your life. If your husband or partner is confused by your sudden and often dramatic mood swings, consider getting a copy for him. In Blitzed by Menopause, Jan Brehm delivers professional tools and tips for growing your relationship. Her perspective is really funny, but the information is invaluable.
- Menopause and Beyond: New Wisdom for Women. This is a recorded lecture by Dr. Christiane Northrup, a pioneer in women’s health and wellness. Based on her bestselling book, The Wisdom of Menopause, Dr. Northrup focuses on four key areas for women 50 and over: heart health, hormone therapy, diet and sexuality. Women are encouraged to embrace the second half of their lives, use their inner wisdom and live life to the fullest. Not only is she a fantastic speaker, Dr. Northrup is devoted to helping women feel good about themselves no matter their age.
The message in each of these menopause DVDs is clear. Menopause can be a productive and meaningful period of your life. But to make the most of it, you need to understand your body and learn as much as you can about the journey. And these incredible women can give you a great place to start.
Do you have a favorite menopause DVD? We’d love to hear about it. Join us in the menopause forum and share your recommendations with the community.